With Halloween just days away, I wanted a cocktail that would chill your bones. This drink needed to be truly terrifying. First, I turned it as black as the sea floor. Almost unnaturally so. But you won’t find any food coloring in this drink . . . just a touch of squid ink got the job done.
Are you scared yet? Arr matey, don’t be alarmed. These flavorful ingredients more than mask any brininess of the sea. What you have instead is a devilishly sweet cocktail sure to shiver ye timbers!
- 1 oz spiced rum
- 1/2 oz Fernet Branca
- 1 1/2 oz crème de cacao
- 1/8 teaspoon squid ink (optional)
- 1/2 oz chocolate stout
- Start by adding the spiced rum, Fernet, and crème de cacao to your shaker.
- Next, add the squid ink. Careful, this stuff stains! If you’re squeamish, feel free to substitute black food coloring.
- Give the ingredients a hard, dry shake (no ice). This will help thoroughly incorporate the ink.
- Fill your shaker with ice and shake vigorously for a full 30 seconds so that your drink becomes cold and frothy. Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass and top with the chocolate stout.
- There you have it. The one, the only... Blackbeard Cocktail!