This is the one and only pumpkin cocktail for all alcohol lovers out there.
When G-rated horchata doesn’t quite cut it, send in the ringers. Namely, pumpkin puree and vanilla rum. Flanked by coconut milk and a touch of coconut sugar, this riff takes Mexico’s traditional rice milk beverage to its seasonal peak.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 12 oz. spiced or vanilla rum
- cinnamon sugar for rimming glasses
Garnish: cinnamon sticks
- Add rice and water to the pitcher of a blender and blend until the rice is chopped into small pieces. About 1-2 minutes.
- Pop cinnamon stick into the pitcher, cover, and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, but overnight is best.
- Once mixture has soaked, strain the rice milk through a fine mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth that's been placed over a pitcher.
- While milk is straining, whisk together pumpkin puree, coconut milk and sugar in a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. About 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pumpkin mixture from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Stir the pumpkin mixture into strained rice milk until well mixed.
- To serve, add ice and 1 1/2 ounces of rum to a glass rimmed in cinnamon sugar, top off with with the pumpkin spice horchata, and stir with a cinnamon stick.